Wednesday 10/28/20

80% of those infected with coronavirus in Finland under 60 years old

The country registers 71 new infections in the last 24 hours and the number of diagnosed cases amounts to 1,384. Middle-aged people are the most affected.

Coronavirus-man-mask

Finland records a moderate increase of coronavirus (koronavirus, in Finnish) infections compared to other European countries.

The latest figures released on Tuesday morning by the National Institute for Health and Welfare (THL) show that in the last 24 hours the number of diagnosed cases increased by 71. So far, 1,384 cases have been diagnosed in the country and 13 people died since the beginning of the crisis.

That increase of 71 cases is less than the 95 reported on Monday, but more than the 55 reported on Sunday. And since the incubation period for the disease is up to two weeks, it is still early to draw conclusions on the effectiveness of the latest movement restriction measures decreed by Sanna Marin's government. It will take around 15 days to see if they are adequate to stop the spread of the virus.

Among those already infected, 896 (or 64.7%) are from Uusimaa, the region that the Government decided to isolate from the rest of the country by establishing roadblocks.

Finland-map-cases-31-MarchSource: THL

Age is crucial

Finnish health experts warned in the past days that the spread of the virus beyond the capital area can be devastating, as the other provinces have fewer hospitals, fewer beds in intensive care units and a population that is considerably older and therefore more vulnerable to Covid-19 attacks.

In fact, keeping older age groups and people with previous chronic diseases protected against the coronavirus can be vital in dealing with fatality. And Finland seems to be doing well that, according to the figures released.

Age-groups-Finland-coronavirus-31-March

Source: THL.

According to THL data, 1,106 of the infected people in Finland (or 80%) are younger than 60 years old. Among the remaining 20%, there are 149 people between 60 and 69 years old; 88 people 70 to 79 years old and 41 patients older than 80 years old.

These are, in principle, the most vulnerable groups, although this disease has shown in other countries that it can also kill and fill intensive care units with younger people.

Currently, the sickness is affecting all age groups: there are 17 small kids (0-9 years old) sick and 57 in the 10-19 years group.

Middle-aged people are the most affected. The group hardest hit is that of people between 50 and 59 years old (296 infections), followed by that of 40 to 49 years old (276 diagnosed cases). Among those aged 30-39 years, 257 cases have been found and there are other 203 infections among people between 20 and 29 years old.

Of the total infected, 52% are men and 48% are women.

Comments